Balancing Act. Installation view, The Art Gallery of Western Australia, 2022. Amanda Bell From our lip, mouths, throats and belly 2021. Neon, audio, 158 x 300 x 6 cm. The State Art Collection, The Art Gallery of Western Australia. Purchased through the Art Gallery of Western Australia Foundation: COVID-19 Arts Stimulus Package, 2020. Mr May (Ngarralja Tommy) Warla, Flat Country 2021. Brass, aluminium, stone and soil, dimensions variable. The State Art Collection, The Art Gallery of Western Australia. Courtesy Mr May and Mangkaja Art Centre. Photo by Bo Wong.
"Across every generation, our Elders have played, and continue to play, an important role and hold a prominent place in our communities and families. They are cultural knowledge holders, trailblazers, nurturers, advocates, teachers, survivors, leaders, hard workers and our loved ones. It is their influence and through their learnings that we must ensure that when it comes to future decision making for our people, there is nothing about us – without us. We pay our respects to the Elders we’ve lost and to those who continue fighting for us across all our Nations and we pay homage to them." – National NAIDOC Committee.
NAIDOC Week activities are held across Australia each year to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
NAIDOC is celebrated not only in Indigenous communities, but by Australians from all walks of life. The week is a great opportunity to participate in a range of activities and to support your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
NAIDOC Week at AGWA
• 10am-5pm, until 30 July | Boodjar: Through the Works of Meeyakba Shane Pickett
• 1pm, Monday – Saturday | Perspectives on First Nations Art Guided Tours
• 10.30am-12.30pm & 2-4pm, Wednesday 5 July | Art Making Workshop with Beananging Kwuurt Institute First Nations artists
• 1.30-2.15pm, Thursday 6 July | Little Boorloo Dance Workshop
• 2-3pm, Saturday 8 July | Art, Walking, Words with poet and author Dr Charmaine Papertalk Green
• Ongoing | Balancing Act